Summer is really making its presence felt around here. Hundred degrees?? That’s just unbearable especially when you don’t have A/C.. Oh well. What do you do when it gets that hot then? Dream of fall, that’s what. Today’s recipe is flashback. A dream of fall that is bygone but will be here soon, crisp and cold yet bearing the right warmth of color.
Salads were boring to me, I will confess. Random assortment of raw veggies didn’t sound too appealing. Also the dressings never seemed sufficient to give it taste. But now I have learnt the kind of salads that I love. Lots of flavors and juices from fruits and vegetables in the salad are crucial. Nuts add buttery crunchy texture. Simple dressings add variety on your palate. So there isn’t a set recipe, just a set formula.
This particular salad was more of an accident, a product of trying to figure out a best way to use the fava beans. We prepared slightly boiled fava beans with olive oil, with a hint of garlic and pepper. A pot with a mix of tomatoes, avocado, boiled beets, plain hard boiled egg for protein, some onion.. Roasted squash with a reminder of cool fall breeze.. And vinaigrette and olive oil mixture to bring it all together.. That is my perfect fall throwback salad!
Your map to roasted squash fava beans salad
Author: Minty Chai
Total time: 1 hr
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1-2 beets
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup fava beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 minced garlic clove
- sea salt
- black and other peppercorns
- dried thyme
- Coat half of the squash with little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for 45 minutes at 425 degree F. Check with fork that it’s soft along the way. Once the done, remove seeds and peel it. Cut it into small pieces.
- In the meantime, take out fava bean pods out of the beans and boil them in microwave for 20 minutes with enough water to submerge them. Once done, remove hot water and add cold water to stop further cooking. Remove the small fava bean pods out of the shell. Heat a little olive oil in a pan saute fava beans with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs by cooking them in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Add some baking soda to help remove the shell more quickly. Slice them and keep ready.
- Cut beets in half and boil them for 10 minutes. Peel and slice them.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette and thyme really well. Add a couple dashes of fresh ground mixed peppercorns.
- In a large bowl mix the tomatoes, beets, roasted squash, avocado, sliced onion and all other vegetables except spinach. Add half of the olive oil-vinaigrette mixture and mix well again.
- On a bed of spinach leaves place this salad mixture. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and add more dressing mixture as needed. Enjoy it fresh!