Are you psyched by the notion of a healthy side for the thanksgiving feast that will also make your Vegan friends happy? Then you have come to the right corner in the town. Following fresh, slightly sweet, slightly tangy and slightly spicy preparation will leave your taste buds satisfied and your dietary app without any warning signals!
Carrots color is a big mood lifter for me. It’s very fall like and yet super fresh and crunchy like summer fun! You only add yet another fresh goodness into shredded carrots, thinly chopped tomatoes. That way juicy balances crunchy.. Perfect little combination to counter balance other heavy weights on the table.
Little spice by using fresh chilies.. And key ingredient here is little oil, mustard seeds and turmeric. Turmeric has many health benefits. It’s antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and also helps digestion. Turmeric actually is a very good skin detox as well. Overall, a good body cleansing agent! I also add asafoetida which also helps digestion. Especially helpful on days when meals involve a lot of beans, lentils and even fried foods.
Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Your Map to Carrot Slaw
Author: Minty Chai
Total time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 2 thai chilies
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- salt to taste
- cilantro to garnish
- Shred the carrot and chop the tomato into thin pieces. Mix them together. Add sliced chilies.
- In a small pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Once hot, add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, turn down heat and add turmeric and asafoetida. Turn off heat in a minute.
- Pour this hot spiced oil preparation over the shredded carrot mixture. Add salt and lemon juice. Mix everything together well.
- Add chopped cilantro for garnish and serve.